( My second eldest daughter, is pictured above.)
This summer, I decided to put out a fun challenge for my daughters. During their free time...which they do have...between youth work trips, vacation with the family, volunteering at our local vacation bible school, working as junior servants at a local camp, not to mention time with friends! It sounds like every minute of their summer is taken up. However, they do have plenty of free time, to just be themselves.
For those of you who may be curious, I have 3 daughters. Two of which are teenagers, (turning 17 and 16 this summer), and one daughter who is just 5. My two boys are young as well.
So, onto the challenge.
I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of books for reading this summer, (and yes, I told them I'd pay them for completion of the challenge ;) These books are at times, challenging, entertaining and inspiring. Most of them I have read, though some came recommended by good friends. Of course, there are so many good books out there, it was hard to narrow it down!
They have to have read 12 of these books by the end of the summer....which brings us to one a week...(I am saying the challenge is roughly 12 weeks from June through August. One of my teens is a voracious reader, and one could take it or leave it. (Hence the money reward!) Some weeks they will be so busy, no reading will get done at all, I'm sure. But, other weeks there will be plenty of leisure and reading time. I hope your daughters, (or you!), might enjoy and grow from some of the books listed......
1. Lies Young Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
2. Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss
3. Any 3 missionary stories you haven't read yet, from YWAM publishers (Example of one.)
4. See number 3.
5. See Number 3.
6. Let me be a woman Elisabeth Elliot
-- or --
7. A young woman after God's own heart by Elizabeth George
8. I kissed dating goodbye by Joshua Harris
9. A young woman's guide to making the right choices by Elizabeth George
10. Authentic Beauty by Leslie Ludy
11. Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges
12. The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
13. Joni: An unforgettable story by Joni Eareckson Tada
14. Life without limits: Inspiration for a ridiculously good life by Nic Vujicic
15. A long walk to water: A true story by Linda Sue Park